MEDINA CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION announces an open-competitive written examination to be held on Tuesday, April 30, 2019 to create an eligible list for the classification of:
POLICE PATROL OFFICER
Applications may be obtained and filed for this examination at the Civil Service office, Lower Level at Medina City Hall, 132 North Elmwood Avenue, Medina, on March 20, 21, 22, 26, 27, 28, 29, April 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 22, 23, 24, and 25, 2019 between 8am–4pm on these days only. Or complete application and send electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline is 4:00pm Thursday, April 25, 2019.
SALARY: Beginning salary is $25.82 per hour plus time and a half for approved overtime work. In addition, the city pays 10% of the employee’s contribution to the Police & Firemen’s Disability and Pension Fund under a deferred plan. Presently, a standard workweek is four, 10/hour days. Benefits include: uniform allowance, group hospitalization, sick leave, paid holidays, paid vacations.
NATURE OF WORK: Protection of life and property through the enforcement of laws and ordinances.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High school diploma or equivalent, a valid Ohio driver’s license, and physical condition to perform the essential functions of the job. Must be 21 years of age, but be less than 35 years of age at time of appointment. No criminal record other than minor traffic violations. OPOTA certification not required to apply, but successful completion of course and certification is required before serving of probationary period.
NATURE OF EXAMINATION: There are three parts to the examination: 1. All candidates will participate in a written exam to rank the candidates 2. All candidates who pass the written test, will be asked to participate in a physical fitness test (Saturday, May 11th), 3. Only the top 40 scorers in the written test, who passed the physical fitness test, will advance to the oral interview portion of the examination process (Date TBD). The physical fitness test will be scored pass/fail. The passing score for the written examination is 70% or above and the Oral Board Interviews will be evaluated on overall readiness to be hired (will not change rankings). Steps to determine physical, mental, and character fitness will not be taken prior to establishing an eligible list but will be part of the total testing procedure, the failure of which can be cause for removal of name from the eligible list. A thorough background investigation, drug testing, psychological examination, polygraph and any other method necessary to ascertain the applicant’s qualifications will be administered and if any negative information is obtained, this could disqualify an applicant for this position.
FEE: A filing fee of $30, which is not refundable, will be charged for the examination process and must be paid at the time of application.
EXTRA POINTS: The Commission have set the extra credit points not to exceed five (5) points
- Military Service: 5 points for completed service and honorably discharged from uniformed service or transferred to the reserve with evidence of satisfactory service. (DD-214)
- Four-year Degree: 5 points for a four-year degree from an accredited college or university.(Official transcript required) or
- Two-year Associate Degree: 2 points for a two-year associate degree in Criminal Justice or Law Enforcement fields from an accredited college or university. (Official transcript required)
- Ohio Peace Officer’ Training Academy: 5 points for successful completion of the Ohio Peace Officer Training Council’s Basic Peace Officer Training and copy of a valid certification required.
- Service as an Auxiliary (Special) with the Medina Police Department: 3 points for a minimum of one year’s service (letter from department stating service time required).
- State of Ohio Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Certification: 2 points for Level B or higher. WRITTEN PROOF MUST BE PRESENTED AND VERIFIED PRIOR TO THE DATE OF THE WRITTEN EXAMINATION TO RECEIVE ADDITIONAL CREDIT. Official copies must be presented for credit; no copies will be made from originals for applicants. EXTRA CREDIT POINTS WILL BE ADDED TO AN APPLICANT’S WRITTEN SCORE of 70% or better.ACCOMMODATION: An applicant may request reasonable accommodation to participate in the application/examination process by completing and submitting an EXAMINATION ACCOMMODATION REQUEST form.PROBATION: The probationary period shall be regarded as an integral part of the examination process and shall be used to closely observe the employee's work, to give the employee full opportunity to demonstrate successful performance on the job, and to remove any employee whose performance does not meet required work standards. No appointment shall be deemed final until the appointee has satisfactorily served the probationary period, from first workday, of not less than one year. At the request of the appointing authority, the Commission may extend an employee's probationary period. EOE